Sunday, August 23, 2009

Effective Communication for Me

Effective communication is part and parcel of life. In one of the Taiwan variety shows, I came across some interesting experiences of lone backpackers. Due to language barrier, they were not able to engage in meaningful conversations, resulting in inadequate communication. They mentioned that communicating via any possible channels with family and friends is a daily necessity. Not exchanging any ideas with anyone for one single day makes them feel uneasy and bottled up. These illustrated the simple yet significant role of interacting effectively.

In actual fact, I am someone who is very insecure about communicating. One of the many reasons responsible for this is the lack of self-confidence. In addition, I have a weak command of language, especially English. As a science student, I always admire those who are able to speak with charisma and confidence with ease. Therefore, I am determined to brush up my communications skills after taking up this module. From my first two lessons of ES2007S, I learned something very applicable to my way of communicating: effective two-way communication. Communication is not solely about articulating clearly and expressing efficiently; it is also about active listening. In my opinion, this is actually the essence of connecting with people.

I realize that I often do not listen to others with a clear mind. Usually, I start to compose paragraphs of random thoughts or counter arguments in my head while listening. This is not being an active listener. Therefore, I tend to misunderstand what others meant and vice versa. During my Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme in Science (UROPS) in my previous semester, I frequently felt demoralized due to the breakdown in communications between me and my mentors. As this is my first time researching in a laboratory (not mentioning the guided practical sessions in school), I am not well equipped with the skills and knowledge required. However, my mentors assumed that the knowledge that they possess is not new to me at all. Having different levels of understandings on the topics discussed, this repeatedly leads them into thinking that I am ignorant. As a result, I am more tensed up while conversing with them. Thus, I could not get sufficient cues that make me sense that they are listening to me. Also, due to the lack of assurance, I habitually use ambiguous words like “maybe”, “I think” and “could be”. Broken English further worsens the situation. As a result, they often misunderstand my messages causing me to feel uncomfortable with them. Interpersonal relationships are built on communicating effectively. I am someone who feels the need to connect with people around me and therefore effective communication is very vital to me.

Being a fourth year student in university, I am feeling rather unclear about the directions of my career upon graduation. I want to have a job that is able to help people in one way or another. One of the possible routes would be to still embark on a journey of research in life science. Another route would be to become a teacher. One other possible option would be a speech therapist. The thing that I fear most for all these jobs is the need for presentations in some course of the career. I am afraid that people would not listen to me. When I told my elder sister casually about my wish of being a speech therapist, she was quite shocked. This actually makes me feel quite disappointed with myself. I could not speak well myself, how could I help others to speak well? But, it is precisely that I understand how they feel that I want to help them. Hence, effective communication is more than relevant to me. I must learn how to present my thoughts more clearly, more well-constructed and at the very least, understandable by others.

To be a better person, I have to gain more self-confidence especially in the area of effective communication. This would definitely make me feel more satisfied and happy in life. =)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,

    I learned this from Patrick's post, "opening a communication channel is just like taking a bitter pill because we need to take the initiative and courage to open our psychological barrier against fear of negative feedback from the receiver". I think what he has mentioned is highly relevant in your situation. I think as long as we are receptive to negative comments from others, we will be able to make improvements. I believe all of us will become better communicators at the end of this class by interacting and learning from each other!

    I think I have also learned something from your post as well and that is have more self-confidence while communicating with others. I think the lack of self-confidence can also be a source of barrier to effective communication as we may have greater self-awareness during the communication process and this may prevent us from expressing our ideas and thoughts in a simple and clear manner.

    Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good response to the assigned topic, Rebecca. Your post shows a clear reflective focus on your own communication style, experience and needs, and you methodically address each of your main points. You also show very good language fluency, except that there is a switch in verb tense when you tell the story of your UROPS work. An edit might have helped you with that.

    No confidence! I think you're headed in the right direction. Thanks for this fine effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebacca,

    Reading through the third and fourth paragraph of your post, I wish to tell you this " you are not alone". Like you, I too had a hard time communicating with my mentor when I was first started UROPS as well. I wasn't competent enough to do independent research and I showed it to him. From the way I conduct and set up experiments, I guess he was very convinced with my lack of skills and knowledge.

    I once had an unpleasant experience with another mentor when I was working during the summer holidays. Even now, I always remember vividly the words he said:" you are not here to prove how capable you are". Perhaps, this serve as a reminder for me to be humble to learn from others irregardless of their social status or educational background.

    Eventually whenever I enter a new environment be it research laboratory, workplace or even classrooms, I keep reminding myself all the time that there is nothing for me to show except my heart to learn from all around me.

    This is just a three cents worth of my story. I hope it'll be helpful in some or anyway. All the best to your final year project, Rebacca. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rebacca,

    I tend to form random thoughts and counter arguments while listening to others as well. Now, I realise that i was not giving the people around me a chance to tell me more information that I did not know. Hopefully, we will improve on our interperson communication through attentive listening and keeping an open mind.

    P.S: Do you know that my first impression of you was that you are a very cheerful and approachable girl? I hope you can keep your self confidence level up. Gambatte!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rebecca,

    I'm just stopping by to tell you that you're not alone! I'm not good in English too and that is why I'm taking this course to brush up my communication skills. It is good that we realise the importance of effective communication in not only the working world, but in building interpersonal relationships as well. So let's improve on ourselves together! =).

    Hazel

    ReplyDelete